Skip to Content

Sharks Battling To Stay Alive

Share this post on:


In the depths of the Atlantic Ocean, a silent struggle unfolds—a battle for the survival of dusky sharks (Carcharhinus obscurus). Once thriving off the Atlantic coast, these magnificent creatures face a grave threat. Despite great efforts, the dusky shark population remains in peril.

The Troubling Decline of Dusky Sharks

Dusky Shark
Dusky Shark, photographed by Jen Fitschen

Dusky sharks, once abundant in the Atlantic, have seen their numbers plummet. The primary culprits behind this decline are overfishing and bycatch. Despite regulatory attempts, these majestic creatures continue to struggle for survival.

In 2000, the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) prohibited targeting dusky sharks. However, this measure did not adequately account for the bycatch issue, leading to continued overfishing. Dusky sharks were inadvertently ensnared, and their numbers continued to dwindle.

Did You Know? Dusky sharks are renowned for their long migrations, with some individuals traveling thousands of miles searching for food and suitable breeding grounds.

The Alarming Stock Assessment

In 2016, a stock assessment revealed the grim state of dusky shark populations. The assessment was troubling: dusky sharks remained overfished at critically low levels due to the pervasive bycatch problem. Over time, the spawning stock biomass of these sharks had dwindled by a staggering 81% since 1960, leaving a mere 19% of the original spawning stock biomass in 2015.

Despite a decline in the death rate of dusky sharks since the onset of overfishing in the 1980s, the assessment showed a slight increase in mortality from fishing in the most recent six years of evaluation. This sobering reality underscores that the 2000 prohibition did not effectively curb overfishing. Bycatch remains a persistent and looming threat to dusky sharks, thwarting their chances of recovery.

The dusky shark’s plight is a stark reminder of the urgent need for conservation measures. As apex predators, these sharks play a crucial role in maintaining the balance of marine ecosystems. Their continued decline could have far-reaching consequences, impacting the ocean’s biodiversity and the livelihoods of coastal communities.

Wrapping Up with Sharks Battling To Stay Alive

YouTube video

Dusky sharks, once the rulers of the Atlantic waters are now on the brink of extinction. Despite government efforts, overfishing and bycatch have pushed these magnificent creatures to the edge. We must recognize the gravity of the situation and take immediate action to protect and conserve dusky sharks. Their survival is not only a testament to the resilience of nature but also a responsibility we all share in preserving the delicate balance of our oceans. The time to act is now, before these majestic creatures disappear forever from the depths of the Atlantic.

Thank you for following along with this article – 

Next up in the animal kingdom:

Latest posts by Jen Fitschen (see all)

Share this post on: