By Josie March 5th, 2023
If you’re a proud pet-parent, you’re probably cautious about what you feed your furry companion.
When it comes to the safety of mushrooms, it is dependent on the type of mushroom.
It’s important to keep your dog away from oils, butter, salt, and veggies like garlic and onions (which are often used when cooking mushrooms.)
It is normally okay for dogs to consume mushrooms sold in grocery stores.
Dogs shouldn't be allowed to eat any kind of wild mushroom.
It's often too difficult to differentiate between poisonous and non-poisonous mushrooms - rather be safe than sorry.
There's a misconception that dogs won’t eat poisonous mushrooms because they can detect the odor of dangerous substances.
According to veterinarians, mushroom-poisoning is an under-reported cause of lethal poisoning in pets.
– Amanita phalloides – Gyromitra spp. – Galerina marginata – Amanita muscaria – Amanita gemmata – Inocybe spp.
Some poisonous mushrooms have a stench similar to fish.
It is general knowledge among people who own dogs that canines find scents with a fishy undertone particularly enticing.
The toxicity of mushrooms can be compounded by other factors, such as your dog’s preexisting health conditions or the concoction of other substances they have consumed.
– Ataxia (staggering gait) – Abdominal pain – Seizures – Jaundice (yellowing of the eyes) – Vomiting – Lethargy – Salivation – Diarrhea
Your veterinarian might attempt to induce vomiting or prescribe medicines to counteract the effects of the poison.
You should bring a piece of the mushroom to your veterinarian if you can get your hand on a sample.
Like any other novel food, should be offered to your dog in small increments to avoid digestive discomfort.
To avoid your dog experiencing some gas and bloating, cook any fresh mushrooms before giving them to your pet.
So, to ensure your pet is safe, treat all wild mushrooms as poisonous.