By Josie May 25th, 2023
The Cone Snail sports a beautiful shell admired by collectors worldwide, but it also contains a lethal bite.
Worst case, it can even lead to respiratory failure.
It is particularly dangerous if the person is in the water, as they may struggle to reach the surface to get air.
The venom of cone snail bite causes a rapid drop in blood pressure, leading to a loss of consciousness and potentially fatal complications.
The pain of a cone snail bite may be described as a sharp, stabbing sensation, and the affected area may become red and swollen.
Some species of cone snail venom can affect their victim’s vision. This may include blurred vision, double vision, or even temporary blindness.
Even if you don’t feel any pain or experience any other symptoms, it is important to get checked. Some cone snail venoms act very quickly and can cause death within hours.
Keep the affected limb still and immobilized to slow down the venom’s spread.
Avoid washing the wound or applying ice, it can cause the venom to spread more rapidly.
- Avoid Touching or Handling Cone Snails
- Wear Protective Clothing and Footwear
- Stay Alert and Aware of Your Surroundings
- Read Local Warnings and Signage